355 Austin Circle, Suite 110, Delafield, WI 53018
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Google


Bucher Law Group, LLC

Worker's Compensation - First Steps

I'm often asked what steps should be taken should I become hurt at work or because of an exposure to an unhealthy substance at work. The first thing to do is immediately report the accident or ailment to your supervisor. If necessary, get immediate medical attention. You may choose any physician, chiropractor, psychologist, podiatrist or dentist licensed in the state. It is not necessary that you go to a doctor that your employer suggests. Further, you have a right to select a second doctor later on, but you must notify the employer or their insurance company. It is extremely important you keep your employer and/or insurance company informed about your treatment and any changes in your situation. Those changes would include your ability to return to work under restrictions, or free from any restrictions.

Once you report your incident to your employer, they will contact their insurance company, who will then report the incident to the worker's compensation division. Usually it is not necessary for you to take any steps to report the injury to the state or the insurer. However, if your employer refuses to take the necessary steps or report the incident, you may contact the Department of Workforce Development Worker's Compensation Division to report the incident.

If you have any questions, it is best to contact an attorney who is experienced in worker's compensation law if you have any questions.

AVVO SuperLawyers BBB Thervo 2017 Martindale Hubbel City Voter List
Back to Top