711 West Moreland Boulevard, #100A, Waukesha, WI 53188
Facebook Twitter Linkedin


Bucher Law Group, LLC

Can I File a Civil Lawsuit Against a Perpetrator if I Am a Victim of a Crime?

 Posted on February 06, 2020 in Victimology

Walworth County victim's rights attorney

Most of the time, there is a clear-cut difference between criminal law cases and civil law cases. In some instances, however, the line between the two types of law is blurred, and a civil lawsuit could easily stem from a criminal case. There are many crimes that, when committed, can be extremely harmful and damaging to the victims. Criminal cases can help bring the perpetrator to justice, but they often do not help the victim with the medical bills, counseling, lost wages, or other damages that may have resulted from the crime. Often, a civil lawsuit is needed to provide the victims of these crimes with the compensation that they deserve for the hardships they have endured.

Filing a Personal Injury Lawsuit for Crimes

In situations where a victim suffers significant injuries, they may be able to file a personal injury lawsuit to mitigate some of the effects of the damages. Common crimes that result in damages to the victims include:

  • Drunk driving accidents: This is perhaps the most common crime in which victims pursue compensation for their injuries. Operating a vehicle while under the influence of drugs or alcohol is illegal, which is why most offenders face criminal charges afterward. Victims can suffer from bodily injury and property damage in a DUI crash.

  • Assault and battery: Instances of assault and battery can leave victims with serious physical injuries that can be life-threatening, or they may even result in wrongful death.

  • Sexual assault: Sexual assault victims often suffer from emotional distress for years after the crime, and they can also experience multiple types of physical trauma.

Claiming Compensation for Damages

If a victim and his or her attorney are able to receive a favorable outcome in a civil lawsuit against the offender, he or she may be awarded compensation for the damages suffered from the crime, such as the following:

  • Medical bills

  • Emotional distress treatment

  • Pain and suffering

  • Lost wages

  • Property destruction

Contact an Ozaukee County Victim’s Rights Attorney

Being a victim of any type of crime, especially violent offenses, can result in potentially serious physical and psychological damages. Depending on the crime, you may be able to file a personal injury lawsuit against your perpetrator. At the Bucher Law Group, LLC, we can help you build a case and fight for your right to compensation for all of your pain and suffering. Our skilled Milwaukee County victim’s rights lawyers can help you seek adequate justice and get your life back on track. To schedule a free consultation, call our office today at 262-303-4916.





Share this post:
AVVO SuperLawyers BBB Thervo 2017 Martindale Hubbel City Voter List Criminal Defense Blog
Back to Top