711 West Moreland Boulevard, #100A, Waukesha, WI 53188
Facebook Twitter Linkedin


Bucher Law Group, LLC

What Are My Legal Options if I Suffered a TBI Due to Domestic Abuse?

 Posted on December 15, 2020 in Victimology

Waukesha County personal injury attorney domestic violence

Individuals who are physically harmed by a romantic partner, family member, or household member may be left with serious injuries – both mental and physical. Traumatic brain injuries (TBI) may be caused by blows to the head, hitting one’s head on the ground, receiving a penetrating injury to the skull, and through other forms of physical trauma. If you sustained a traumatic brain injury as a result of domestic violence, you should know that you have certain rights. You may be able to hold the alleged abusive person accountable for his or her actions criminally and civilly.

Criminal Charges Versus a Civil Claim

Although doing so is often much easier said than done, it is important to call the police after being physically attacked by an abusive person. Doing so enables you to create a record of the abuse and hold the alleged abuser criminally accountable for the harm he or she caused. Criminal charges, however, do not provide financial restitution for the injured victim. A traumatic brain injury can have a dramatic influence on a sufferer’s life. Your TBI may have caused you to suffer from painful and debilitating symptoms such as intense headaches, nausea, dizziness, memory problems, speech difficulties, cognitive issues, depression, sleep disturbances, and more. The injury may have necessitated expensive medical care. Symptoms may even prevent you from working and earning an income. This can create a heavy financial burden. A civil claim may allow you to recover financial compensation for the losses you experienced because of the traumatic brain injury.

Bringing a Victimology Lawsuit After Suffering a TBI

When most people think of personal injury claims, they imagine a situation in which an injured person files a claim against a negligent individual or company. However, personal injury claims may also be used to recover financial compensation after intentional acts of violence. You may be able to bring a personal injury claim against an abusive person even if he or she is a blood relative, spouse, or someone else to whom you were very close. Through civil legal action, you could receive compensation for your past medical expenses such as emergency room bills as well as future medical care including follow-up appointments and psychological treatment. You may also recover compensation for past and future lost wages from time off work. Financial compensation for your physical pain and suffering and mental distress may also be available.

Contact a Racine County Victimology Lawyer

If you suffered a TBI after being physically attacked, it can lead to lasting physical and psychological consequences. That is why you should contact a diligent Waukesha County personal injury attorney from Bucher Law Group, LLC. We can help you determine your best options for seeking compensation for your pain and suffering, whether that involves a civil or criminal lawsuit. Call our office today at 262-303-4916 to schedule a confidential, free consultation with our team of compassionate professionals.




Share this post:
AVVO SuperLawyers BBB Thervo 2017 Martindale Hubbel City Voter List Criminal Defense Blog
Back to Top